The department makes a major contribution to general courses in biomedical science teaching and offers specialist courses in the anatomical and imaging sciences.
The department also delivers the only postgraduate programmes in New Zealand for the Medical Imaging profession.
The research activities of staff are similarly wide ranging and multidisciplinary, extending from the molecular level through biological structure to studies on the whole body.
The department is widely recognised for several outstanding developments, including:
- the initiation of a state-of-the-art Biomedical Imaging Research Unit
- an internationally recognised Human brain bank for neuroscience research
- a fully integrated facility that underpins anatomy, radiology and pathology teaching on the human body
AMRF Medical Sciences Learning Centre - Whakaaro Pai
- a broad range of high quality histology techniques Histology Laboratory
- Auckland Clinical Anatomy Research Team