My current research considers the interplay between genes and diet in the development of chronic disease, with particular focus on Inflammatory Bowel Disease, a cancer-prone condition and also in prostate cancer. As programme leader for the multidisciplinary-multiorganisation Nutrigenomics New Zealand, I am working with a range of others across The university of Auckland, Plant and Food Research and Agresearch Ltd, to bring nutrigenomics tools and potential to the New Zealand science scene.
- 2011 Panunzio MF, Caporizzi R, Antoniciello A, Cela EP, D’Ambrosio P, Ferguson LR, Ruggeri S, Ugolini G, Carella F, D. Lagravinese D. Training the teachers for improving primary schoolchildren’s fruit and vegetables intake: a randomized controlled trial., Annali di Igiene, in press.
- 2011 Yuan Y, Ferguson LR. Nutrigenetics and prostate cancer: 2011 and beyond. J.Nutrigenet. Nutrigenom. 4(3):121-136.
- 2011 Ferguson LR, Karunasinghe N. Nutrigenetics, nutrigenomics and selenium Frontiers in Nutrigenomics, 2, 1-11.
- 2011 Wang AH, Lam WJ, Han DY, Ding Y, Hu R, Fraser AG, Ferguson LR, Morgan AR. The effect of IL-10 genetic variation and IL-10 serum levels on Crohn’s Disease susceptibility in a New Zealand population. Human Immunol. 2011 Feb 25. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21354456.
- 2011 Morgan AR,Thompson JD; Waldie K, Cornforth C, Turic D, Sonuga-Barke EJ, Lam WJ, Ferguson LR, Mitchell E. Initial evidence that polymorphisms in neurotransmitter-regulating genes contribute to being born small for gestational age. Journal of Pediatric Genetics, in press
- 2011 Ozdemir V, Muljono DH, Pang T, Ferguson LR, Manamperi A, Samper S, Toshiyuki Someya T, Tassé AM, Tsai S-J, Zhou H-H, Lee EJD. Asia-Pacific Health 2020 and Genomics without Borders: Co-Production of Knowledge by Science and Society Partnership for Global Personalized Medicine. Current Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine, 9, 1-5
- 2011 Huenber C, Ding YI, Petermann I, Ferguson LR. The probiotic E. coli Nissle 1917 reduces pathogen invasion and modulates cytokine expression in Caco-2 cells infected with Crohn's disease-associated E. coli LF82. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011 Apr;77(7):2541
- 2011 Nolan DJ, Han DY, Hu R, Fraser AG, Tapsell LC, Ferguson LR. Effects of dairy products on Crohn’s Disease symptoms are influenced by fat content and disease location but not lactose content or disease activity status in a New Zealand population. Journal of the American Dietetics Association, in press.
- 2011 Fenech MF, El-Sohemy A, Cahill L, Ferguson LR, Tapaeru-Ariki CF, Tai ES, Milner J, Koh W-P, Xie L, Zucker M, Buckley M, Cosgrove L, Lockett T, Kim Y. Fung KYC, Head R. Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics: Viewpoints on Current status and Applications in Nutrition Research and Dietetics Practice. J. Nutrigenet. Nutrigenom. 4(2):69-89.
- 2011 Ferguson LR, Tatham A, Lin Z, Denny WA, Regulation of gene expression as an anticancer drug target. Current Cancer Drug Targets 11(2):199-212 PubMed PMID: 21158714.
- 2010 Panunzio MF, Ferguson LR, Antoniciello A, Pisano A, Enza P. Cela EP, Bucci E, Leonardo Petracca L, Rosalia Bisceglia R, Romagnuolo G, Angelapia A, D’Aprile A, Carella F, Ugolini G. 15-Week Long School-Based Nutrition Education Program to Promote Italian Primary Schoolchildren’s Fruit and Vegetable intake. Annali di Igiene, 22(5):481-4. PubMed PMID: 21381543.
- 2010 Ferguson LR, Han DY, Fraser AG, Huebner C, Lam WJ, Morgan AR. IL23R and IL12B SNPs and Haplotypes Strongly Associate with Crohn's Disease Risk in a New Zealand Population, Gastroenterology Research and Practice. Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 539461, 1-12.
- 2010 van Ommen B, El-Sohemy A, Hesketh J, Kaput J, Fenech M, Evelo C, McArdle HJ, Bouwman J, Lietz G, Mathers JC, Fairweather-Tait S, van Kranen H, Elliott R, Wopereis S, Ferguson LR, Méplan C, Perozzi G, Allen L, Rivero D and The Micronutrient Genomics Project Working Group. The micronutrient genomics project: creating a community driven knowledge base for micronutrient research. Genes Nutr. 2010 Dec;5(4):285-296. Epub 2010 Oct 30. PubMed PMID: 21189865.
- 2010 Nolan DJ, Han DY, Lam WJ, Morgan AR, Fraser AG, Tapsell LC, Ferguson LR. Genetic adult lactase persistence is associated with risk of Crohn's Disease in a New Zealand population. BMC Res Notes. 2010 Dec 19;3(1):339. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21167073.
- 2010 Barnett MP, Ferguson LR. Meeting report: Fourth Asia-Pacific Nutrigenomics conference: gene-Diet Interactions in Gut Health, Auckland, New Zealand, February 21-25, 2010. Biotechnol J. 5(9):913-918.
- 2010 Ferguson LR, Smith BG, James BJ. Combining nutrition, food science and engineering in developing solutions to Inflammatory bowel diseases – omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids as example. Food & Funct., 2010, 1, 60-72. Advance Article DOI: 10.1039/C0FO00057D.
- 2010 Lin H-M, Helsby NA, Ferguson LR, Rowan DD. Using metabolomic analysis to understand inflammatory bowel diseases. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, 2010 Jul 13. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20629098.
2010 Rush EC, Hsi E, Ferguson LR, Simmons D, Hinepo Williams M. Traditional foods reported by a Maori community in 2004 – associations with occasion. MAI review, 2010. 2. 1-10.
- 2010 Ferguson LR, Laing WA. Chronic inflammation, mutation and human disease. Mutat. Res., 690 (1-2): 1-2. PubMed PMID: 20600166.
2010 Ferguson LR. Nutrigenomics and inflammatory bowel diseases. Crit Rev. Clin. Immunol. 6(4):573-83.
- 2010 Ferguson LR. Dietary influences on mutagenesis-where is this field going? Environ. Molec. Mutagen. 51(8-9):909-18. DOI: 10.1002/em.20594.
2010. Lin Z, Murray PM, Ding Y, Denny WA, Ferguson LR Quinazolines as novel anti-inflammatory histone deacetylase inhibitors Mutat. Res., Mutat Res. 690(1-2):81-8. PubMed PMID: 20558185.
- 2010. Morgan AR, Thompson JMD, Murphy R, Black P, Lam WJ, Ferguson LR, Mitchell EA. Obesity and diabetes genes are associated with being born small for gestational age: Results from the Auckland Birthweight Collaborative study. BMC Medical Genetics, 2010, 11:125.
- 2010 Ferguson LR, Hu R, Lam WJ, Munday K, Triggs CM. Tailoring foods to match people's genes in New Zealand: opportunities for collaboration. World Rev Nutr Diet. 101:169-75. Epub 2010 Apr 30. PubMed PMID: 20436263.
- 2010 Ferguson LR. Genome-wide association studies and diet. World Rev Nutr Diet.101:8-14. Epub 2010 Apr 30. PubMed PMID: 20436248.
- 2010 Morgan AR, Han DY, Huebner C, Lam WJ, Fraser AG, Ferguson LR. PTPN2 but not PTPN22 is associated with Crohn's disease in a New Zealand population. Tissue Antigens 76(2):119-25. PubMed PMID: 20403149.
- 2010. Morgan AR, Han DY, Lam WJ, Fraser AG, Ferguson LR. Association analysis of 3p21 with Crohn's disease in a New Zealand population. Hum Immunol. 71(6):602-9..PubMed PMID: 20307617.
- 2010. Ferguson LR. Chronic inflammation and mutagenesis. Mutat Res. 690(1-2): 3-11. PubMed PMID: 20223251.
- 2010. Tian H, Maddox IS, Ferguson LR, Shu Q. Influence of bovine lactoferrin on selected probiotic bacteria and intestinal pathogens. Biometals. 23(3):593-6. PubMed PMID: 20217186.
- 2010. Tian H, Maddox IS, Ferguson LR, Shu Q. Evaluation of the cytoprotective effects of bovine lactoferrin against intestinal toxins using cellular model systems. Biometals. 23(3):589-92. PubMed PMID: 20157763.
- 2010. Triggs CM, Munday K, Hu R, Fraser AG, Gearry RB, Barclay ML, Ferguson LR. Dietary factors in chronic inflammation: Food tolerances and intolerances of a New Zealand Caucasian Crohn's disease population. Mutat Res. 690(1-2):123-38. PubMed PMID: 20144628.
- 2010. Lin HM, Barnett MP, Roy NC, Joyce NI, Zhu S, Armstrong K, Helsby NA, Ferguson LR, Rowan DD. Metabolomic Analysis Identifies Inflammatory and Noninflammatory Metabolic Effects of Genetic Modification in a Mouse Model of Crohn's Disease. J Proteome Res. 9(4):1965-75. PubMed PMID: 20141220.
- 2010. Ferguson LR, Han DY, Fraser AG, Huebner C, Lam WJ, Morgan AR, Duan H, Karunasinghe N. Genetic factors in chronic inflammation: Single nucleotide polymorphisms in the STAT-JAK pathway, susceptibility to DNA damage and Crohn's disease in a New Zealand population. Mutat Res. 690(1-2):108-15. PubMed PMID: 20109474.
- 2010. Danesi F, Philpott M, Huebner C, Bordoni A, Ferguson LR. Food-derived bioactives as potential regulators of the IL-12/IL-23 pathway implicated in inflammatory bowel diseases. Mutat Res. 690(1-2):139-44. PubMed PMID: 20067801.
- 2010 Rush EC, Cumin MB, Migriauli L, Ferguson LR, Plank LD, One year sustainability of risk factor change from a 9 week workplace intervention, J Environ Public Health. 2009:569104. Epub 2010 Feb 10. PubMed PMID: 20169118
- 2010 Ferguson LR. Interactions between genes and diet in the etiology of colorectal cancer. World J Gastrointest Oncol 2(3):125-129.
- 2010 Han DY, Fraser AG, Dryland P, Ferguson LR, Environmental factors in the development of chronic inflammation: A case-control study on risk factors for Crohn's disease within New Zealand. Mutat Res. 690(1-2):116-22.
- 2010 Ferguson LR. “Meat and cancer”. Meat Science, 84(2):308-13.