Professor Merryn Gott
MA (Oxon), PhD, FRSNZ
Merryn directs the Te Ārai Palliative Care and End of Life Research Group: https://tearairesearchgroup.org. The group conducts multi-disciplinary bicultural research using creative social research methods to inform practice, policy, and teaching in palliative and end of life care both nationally and internationally.
Her research programme has been supported by substantial grants from the HRC, UK Department of Health, Research Councils and Health Charities. She has published over 250 papers in peer reviewed journals, as well as a number of books, including International Perspectives on Palliative and End of Life Care for Older People, published by Oxford University Press. http://goo.gl/REg0P4.
In 2014 Merryn was awarded the New Zealand Association of Scientists' Research Medal, an annual award which recognises 'outstanding fundamental or applied research in the physical, natural or social sciences'. She was also recognised as the 2016 NEXT Woman of the Year for Health and Science. In 2019 she was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand, Te Apārangi.
Research | Current
- Palliative care
- End-of-life care
- Participatory research
Current and recent funded projects
- Gott M, Morgan T, Williams L, Wiles J, Moeke-Maxwell T, Rees L. Social connectedness among older people during the Covid-19 lockdown. Auckland Medical Research Foundation.
- Carey M, Moeke-Maxwell T, Gott M. Keteparaha: A Community Framework to Support Māori Ageing and End-of-Life Study. Health Research Council.
- Gott M, Williams L, Wiles J, Moeke-Maxwell T, Kothari S, Pearson S. Promoting social connection through challenging public attitudes: a participatory project with older people. Ageing Well National Science Challenge.
- Richards N, Gott M, Cardiff E. Dying in the Margins. Economic and Social Research Council.
- Gott M, Gardiner C et al. The economic costs of family caregiving within a palliative care context: setting the global research agenda. World Universities Network.
- Robinson J, Gott M. et al. The role of community nursing in palliative care. Cancer Research Society.
- Robinson J, Gott M et al. Palliative care in heart disease. Heart Foundation.
- Frey R, Gott M. Robinson J, Boyd M. SHARE: developing a new model of palliative care in Aged Care. Health Research Council.
- Dewes O, Gott M. et al. Tapinga 'a Maama. National Science Challenge Ageing Well.
- Gott M, Old A, Robinson J, Frey R, Moeke-Maxwell T. A survey to pilot VOICEs-NZ to explore end of life experience amongst ADHB service users. Academic Health Alliance.
- Gott M. et al. Social connectedness amongst older people. National Science Challenge Ageing Well. In partnership with Age Concern New Zealand.
- Gott M. et al. Te Pakeketanga: living and dying in advanced old age. HRC.
- Boyd M, Frey R, Gott M et al. ELDER. National Science Challenge and Ted and Molly Carr Trust.
- Gott M. et al. Potentially inappropriate interventions and admissions at end of life. HRC in partnership with ADHB.
I supervise at PhD and Masters level and always welcome enquiries from prospective students. I supervise students from a range of disciplinary backgrounds, including social sciences, nursing and medicine.
NEXT Woman of the Year Health and Science - 2016
New Zealand Association of Scientists Research Medal - 2015
Fellow Royal Society Te Apārangi - 2019
Co-Associate Head of Research, School of Nursing
Director, Te Ārai Palliative Care and End of Life Research Group
Areas of expertise
Palliative care, gerontology, mixed methods, qualitative research, participatory methods, equity
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Morgan, T., Wiles, J., Moeke-Maxwell, T., Black, S., Park, H.-J., Dewes, O., ... Gott, M. (2020). 'People haven't got that close connection': meanings of loneliness and social isolation to culturally diverse older people. Aging & mental health, 24 (10), 1627-1635. 10.1080/13607863.2019.1633619
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tessa Morgan, Janine Wiles, Stella Black, Ofa Dewes, Lisa Williams
- Moeke-Maxwell, T., Collier, A., Wiles, J., Williams, L., Black, S., & Gott, M. (2020). Bereaved Families' Perspectives of End-of-Life Care. Towards a Bicultural Whare Tapa Whā Older person's Palliative Care Model. Journal of cross-cultural gerontology, 35 (2), 177-193. 10.1007/s10823-020-09397-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Aileen Collier, Janine Wiles, Lisa Williams, Stella Black
- Robinson, J., Moeke-Maxell, T., Parr, J., Slark, J., Black, S., Williams, L., & Gott, M. (2020). Optimising compassionate nursing care at the end of life in hospital settings. Journal of clinical nursing, 29 (11-12), 1788-1796. 10.1111/jocn.15050
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lisa Williams, Jacqualine Robinson, Julia Slark, Stella Black
- Gardiner, C., Robinson, J., Connolly, M., Hulme, C., Kang, K., Rowland, C., ... Gott, M. (2020). Equity and the financial costs of informal caregiving in palliative care: a critical debate. BMC palliative care, 19 (1)10.1186/s12904-020-00577-2
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tessa Morgan, Jacqualine Robinson
- Anderson, N. E., Slark, J., & Gott, M. (2020). When resuscitation doesn't work: A qualitative study examining ambulance personnel preparation and support for termination of resuscitation and patient death. International emergency nursing, 4910.1016/j.ienj.2019.100827
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Julia Slark, Natalie Anderson
- Moeke-Maxwell, T., Mason, K., Williams, L., & Gott, M. (2020). Digital story-telling research methods: Supporting the reclamation and retention of indigenous end-of-life care customs in Aotearoa New Zealand. PROGRESS IN PALLIATIVE CARE, 28 (2), 101-106. 10.1080/09699260.2019.1704370
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lisa Williams
- Attwood, J., Attwood, D., Williams, L., Collier, A., Boyd, M., & Gott, M. (2020). It all started with a green car … Exploring the meaning of happiness. Dementia (London, England), 19 (1), 31-40. 10.1177/1471301219876406
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Aileen Collier, Lisa Williams, Michal Boyd
- Wiles, J., Morgan, T., Moeke-Maxwell, T., Black, S., Park, H.-J., Dewes, O., ... Gott, M. (2019). Befriending Services for Culturally Diverse Older People. Journal of gerontological social work, 62 (7), 776-793. 10.1080/01634372.2019.1640333
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tessa Morgan, Janine Wiles, Ofa Dewes, Lisa Williams
Primary office location
M&HS BUILDING 505 - Bldg 505
Level 2, Room 235A
85 PARK RD