Dr Geraint Phillips
BSc (City University), OD (Waterloo), DCLP Br. Coll. Optometrists, MCOptom
Geraint holds the degrees of Optometry from The City University, London and Doctor of Optometry from the University of Waterloo, Canada. Part of his training included spending time at Moorfields Eye Hospital and The Institute of Optometry in London. He has worked in private practice in London and Vancouver, and has held sessional positions at The Institute of Optometry and the Centre for Contact Lens Research in Waterloo. He gained a Diploma in Contact Lens Practice from the College of Optometrists and in 1994 he underwent advanced training in ocular therapeutics at Pacific University, Oregon.
In 1999 he moved to the Department of Optometry at The University of Auckland, later becoming the Clinic Director. In 2005, he completed the Certificate in Ocular Pharmacology and the Auckland Programme in Ocular Therapeutics (TAPIOT) from The University of Auckland.
Research | Current
Geraint’s main research and teaching interests are in the areas of ocular diseases and therapeutic pharmaceutical agents.
More recently, he has become part of a team of investigators studying the prevalence of refractive errors in New Zealand school children and investigating the detection, measurement and potential treatments for childhood and adult ambyopia.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Black, J. M., Jacobs, R. J., Phillips, G., Chen, L., Tan, E., Tran, A., & Thompson, B. (2013). An assessment of the iPad as a testing platform for distance visual acuity in adults. BMJ Open, 3 (6).10.1136/bmjopen-2013-002730
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Benjamin Thompson, Joanna Black, Robert Jacobs
- Phillips, G., & Pereira, A. (2012). Adult Vitelliform Dystrophy. NZ Optics, 21-21. Related URL.
- Phillips, G., & Welch, S. (2012). Lattice Degeneration. NZ Optics, 13-13. Related URL.
- Goodman, L. K., Black, J. M., Phillips, G., Hess, R. F., & Thompson, B. (2011). Excitatory binocular interactions in two cases of alternating strabismus. Journal of American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, 15 (4), 345-349. 10.1016/j.jaapos.2011.03.017
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Benjamin Thompson, Joanna Black, Lucy Goodman
- Phillips, G., & Backhouse, S. (2011). New Zealand fights on for anti-glaucoma drugs. Optometry Pharma, September, 28-29.
- Phillips, G., & Bennett, S. (2011). Pseudoexfoliation Syndrome. NZ Optics, September, 21-21.
- Jacobs, R. J., Black, J. M., Tran, A., Chen, L., Phillips, G., & Thompson, B. (2011). An Ipad for an Eye Test. Paper presented at 89th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Optometry, Boston, MA, USA. 12 October - 15 October 2011.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Benjamin Thompson, Robert Jacobs, Joanna Black
- Black, J. M., Lun, V., Phillips, G., & Thompson, B. (2011). Colour vision in adult amblyopia. Paper presented at European Association for Vision and Eye Research Conference, Crete, Greece. 5 October - 8 October 2011. Acta Ophthalmologica. 10.1111/j.1755-3768.2011.465.x
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Benjamin Thompson, Joanna Black