School of Medicine
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology has evolved from the Postgraduate School in Obstetrics and Gynaecology which was established in 1951 nearly 20 years before undergraduate medical teaching began in Auckland.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology was located at National Women's Hospital, approximately seven km from the main campus of the School of Medicine. We have now moved to permanent facilities in the Auckland Clinical School, and are based on the 12th floor in Auckland City Hospital to be near the new Maternity facilities. Some staff carry out their academic and clinical duties at Middlemore Hospital in South Auckland, and at North Shore Hospital.
The department has an important teaching role in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education and training. It is also responsible for major clinical contributions to the Women's Health Services of Auckland Healthcare and South Auckland Health.
The department has a strong research base. It houses the Research Centre in Reproductive Medicine and the Cochrane Menstrual Disorders and Sub-fertility Review Group.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology exists to improve the reproductive health of all women and the welfare of their babies. We will achieve this through advancement of knowledge, encouragement and conduct of research, education, leadership and innovation in health care.
We will be responsive to the needs of our consumers including colleagues and students, and we are committed to monitoring and improving our performance. In order to achieve our aims, we will provide a productive and satisfying working environment for our staff. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology is committed to the integration of service, teaching and research functions.