Funding Call - MBIE: Unlocking Curious Minds

Dear Researchers, 

MBIE – Unlocking Curious Minds funding calls opens next Thursday 17 August 2017 and the Research Office deadline is Tuesday 12 September 2017. 

You will need to submit your application into the MBIE submission portal and into the Research Funding module.

Remember if you are a new user to the MBIE portal – you will need to register with the RO before you attempt to access the MBIE portal so that your submission is linked to the University.

Purpose:

To support innovative projects which will excite and engage New Zealanders, particularly young people (under 18), who have fewer opportunities to be involved with science and technology. Funding can be used to support the costs of delivering innovative new science and technology engagement projects aimed at groups who do not have:

  • A background of engagement with science and technology and/or
  • An understanding of how science and technology can affect them and change the way they live their lives.

Projects should contribute to outcomes and objectives in the strategic plan. Applicants should identify a target group in their proposal and explain how the group will benefit from the project.

 

Grant Value: 

  • Up to $30,000 for local project grants
  • Up to $150,000 for regional or national project grants
  • Funding can support costs of: Personnel, personnel-related costs, material and consumables, travel and other operating costs.
 
Eligibility:
Local Grants

Applicants can be:

  • An individual that is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • An organisation that is a legal entity with an IRD number

Regional/National grants

  • Applicants must be an organisation that is a legal entity with an IRD number

A minimum of 20% of the project cost must be co-funded, either in cash or in kind. MBIE will fund up to the remaining 80%.

 

Guidelines:

Guidelines for preparing an application, can be found here.

Assessment criteria for the funding round can be found here.

Exemplars

The Research Office have exemplars of previous successful applications. Please contact us for further help and support.

 

Contact: ro-submissions@auckland.ac.nz