Celebrating National Women’s Hospital – 50 Years Event as iCalendar

14 February 2014

9am - 7pm

Venue: Atrium, Building 505, 85 Park Road, Grafton

On 14 February 1964 the new purpose-built National Women’s Hospital, situated on the slopes of One Tree Hill, was officially opened in front of an audience of 1,000 people. As the New Zealand Medical Journal noted in its coverage of this opening, this was the culmination of a campaign initiated in 1945 by the women of New Zealand to create a modern women’s hospital and a postgraduate training school for obstetrics and gynaecology. A public appeal funded the professor’s salary and the Auckland Hospital Board provided temporary accommodation in the form of a makeshift hospital which had been constructed by the US Army in Cornwall Park to house Pacific battle casualties during the Second World War. The National Council of Women insisted that this arrangement would not suppress its ultimate goal of a new hospital for Auckland, which came to fruition in 1964.