Alan Merry practises in cardiac anaesthesia and chronic pain management at Auckland City Hospital, and is Head of the School of Medicine at the University of Auckland. He is a Councillor of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists, Deputy Treasurer of the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists and Chair of the Board of the NZ Health Quality and Safety Commission. He is on the Board of Lifebox, an international charitable initiative to improve standards of surgery and anaesthesia in low income areas of the world. His three books, 17 book chapters and over 120 papers in peer reviewed journals reflect interests in human factors, patient safety and simulation. He established the spinal cord stimulation service within the Auckland Regional Pain Service, and has a particular interest in using spinal cord stimulation to manage chronic intractable angina pectoris.
ONZM, FANZCA, FFPMANZCA
- Merry AF, McCall Smith A. Errors, Medicine, and the Law. Cambridge University Press, 2001. ISBN 0 521 80631 3 hardback; 0 521 00088 2 paperback.
- Sidebotham, D, Merry AF, Legget,M. Practical Perioperative Transoesophageal Echocardiography. Butterworth-Heinemann, 2003. Reprinted 2003
- Runciman B, Merry A, Walton M. Safety and Ethics in Healthcare – A Guide to Getting it Right. Ashgate, 2007. Aldershot. ISBN : 978-0-7546-4435-4 (HBK); 978-0-7546-4437-8 (PBK)
1. Merry AF. The place of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in perioperative pain relief. In Keneally J, Jones M (eds). Australasian Anaesthesia. Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists, Melbourne; 1994: 149-157.
2. Merry AF, Webster CS. Drug administration error in anaesthesia. In Keneally J, Jones M (eds). Australasian Anaesthesia. Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists, Melbourne; 1996: 53-61.
3. Merry AF, Gorton M. Medical manslaughter and other crimes. In Dooley B, Fearnside M, Gorton M (eds). Surgery, Ethics and The Law. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Melbourne; 2000: 207-220.
4. Scott D, Sidebotham D, Merry A. The role of perioperative transoesophageal echocardiography. In Sidebotham D, Merry AF, Legget M. Essential Perioperative Transoesophageal Echocardiography. Butterworth-Heinemann, 2003.
5. Merry A. Aspects of quantitative and semiquantitative echocardiography. In Sidebotham D, Merry AF, Legget M. Essential Perioperative Transoesophageal Echocardiography. Butterworth-Heinemann, 2003.
6. Merry AF. The missing snake. In Herzberg AM and Oldford RW. Statistics, Science and Public Policy VII. 2004, 127-136. Proceedings of the conference on Statistics Science and Public Policy held at Herstmonceux Castle, Hailsham, UK April 2003. ISBN 1-55339-067-9.
7. Merry AF. Human error, medicine and the courts. In Herzberg AM and Oldford RW. Statistics, Science and Public policy VIII. 2004, 37-45. Proceedings of the conference on Statistics Science and Public Policy held at Herstmonceux Castle, Hailsham, UK April 2003. ISBN 1-55339-067-9.
8. Merry AF. The privatization of government. A personal perspective. In Herzberg AM and Oldford RW. Statistics, Science and Public policy X. 2006, 51-59. Proceedings of the conference on Statistics Science and Public Policy held at Herstmonceux Castle, Hailsham, UK April 2005. ISBN 1-55339-107-1 (bound) 51-591-55399-108-X (pbk).
9. Merry Alan. Good practice. Oxford Handbook of Anaesthesia. 2006, 2. Oxford University Press. Second Edition.
10. Merry AF. Appendix 2: Comments on the interpretation of diagnostic tests. In Sidebotham D, McKEE A, Gillham M and Levy JH. Cardiothoracic Critical Care. 2007, 629-630. Butterworth Heinemann Elsevier, Philadelphia.
11. Merry AF and Sidebotham D. Medicolegal issues in critical care. In Klein A, Vuylsteke A and Nashef S (eds) Core Topics in Cardiothoracic Critical Care. Cambridge University Press 2008, 504-511.
12. Merry AF and Sidebotham D. Research in Critical care. In Klein A, Vuylsteke A and Nashef S (eds) Core Topics in Cardiothoracic Critical Care. Cambridge University Press 2008, 512-518.
13. Merry, Alan Forbes, ‘When Are Errors A Crime? - Lessons From New Zealand’, in Charles A. Erin & Suzanne Ost (Eds.), The Criminal Justice System and Health Care. Oxford: Oxford University Press 2008, 67-97.
14. Cooper RL, Merry AF. Medication Management. In: Stonemetz J, Ruskin K, eds. Anesthesia Informatics. London: Springer, 2008:209-226.
15. Merry AF. How does the law recognise and deal with medical errors? In: Hurwitz B, Sheikh A, eds. Health Care Errors and Patient Safety. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009:75-88.
16. Merry AF. Managing risk to patient safety in clinical units. In: Sorenson R, Iedema R, eds. Managing Clinical Processes in Health Services. Chatswood, NSW: Elsevier Australia, 2009: 169-192.
17. Merry AF, Merry SN. Consent. In: Cyna AM, Andrew M, Tan SGM, Smith AF, eds. Handbook of Communication in Anaesthesia and Critical Care. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011: 68-79.
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Medical Journals
1. Merry AF, Cross JA, Mayadeo SV, Wild CJ. Posture and the spread of extradural analgesia in labour. Brit J Anaesth 1983; 55: 303-7.
2. Hutchinson BJ, Merry AF, Wild CJ. The relationship of fast to the volume and pH of Gastric Contents. Anaesth Intensive Care 1986; 14: 128-30.
3. Merry AF, Clapham GJ, Walker JS. Reversal of midazolam sedation with the benzodiazepine antagonist flumazenil. NZ Med J 1988; 101: 571-2.
4. Merry AF, Ramage MC, Whitlock RML, Laycock GJA, Smith W, Stenhouse D, Wild CJ. First-time coronary artery bypass grafting: the anaesthetist as a risk factor. Brit J Anaesth 1992; 68: 6-12.
5. Merry AF, Wardall GJ, Cameron RJ Peskett MJ, Wild CJ. Prospective, controlled, double blind study of i.v. tenoxicam for pain relief after thoracotomy. Brit J Anaesth 1992; 69: 92-4.
6. Rutherford JS, Merry AF, Occleshaw CJ. Depth of central venous catheterization: an audit of practice in a cardiac surgical unit. Anaesth Intensive Care 1994; 22: 267-71.
7. Merry AF, Peck DJ. Anaesthetists, errors in drug administration and the law. NZ Med J 1995; 108: 185-7.
8. Garden AL, Merry AF, Holland R, Petrie K. Anaesthesia information - what patients want to know. Anaesth Intensive Care 1996; 24: 594-8.
9. Merry AF, Judge M, Ready LB. Acute pain services in New Zealand - a survey. NZ Med J 1997; 110: 233-5.
10. Merry AF, Swinburn PF, Middleton NG, Edwards JL, Calder M. Tenoxicam and paracetamol-codeine combination for pain relief after oral surgery: a prospective, randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled study. Brit J Anaesth 1998; 81: 875-80.
11. Merry AF, Webster CS, Van Cotthem IC, Holland RL, Beca JS, Middleton NG. A prospective randomised clinical assessment of a new pigtail central venous catheter in comparison with standard alternatives. Anaesth Intensive Care 1999; 27: 639-45.
12. Gander PH, Merry AF, Miller MA, Weller J. Hours of work and fatigue related error: a survey of New Zealand anaesthetists. Anaesth Intensive Care 2000; 28: 178-83.
13. Ducat CM, Merry AF, Webster CS. Attitudes and practices of New Zealand anaesthetists with regard to emergency drugs. Anaesth Intensive Care 2000, 28: 692-7.
14. Merry AF, Smith W, Emmens DJ, Anderson D, Choong C. Spinal cord stimulation for angina - an analysis of resource utilisation. NZ Med J 2001, 114: 179-181.
15. Merry AF, Miller TE, Findon G, Webster CS, Neff SPW. Touch contamination levels during anaesthetic procedures and their relationship to hand hygiene protocols – a clinical audit. Brit J Anaesth 2001; 87: 291-4.
16. Merry AF, Webster CS, Mathew DJ. A new, safety-oriented, integrated drug administration and automated anesthesia record system. Anesth Analg 2001; 93: 385-90.
17. Webster CS, Merry AF, Larson L, McGrath KA, Weller J. The frequency and nature of drug administration error during anaesthesia. Anaesth Intensive Care 2001; 29: 494-500.
18. Merry AF, Sidebotham DA, Middleton NG, Calder MV, Webster CS. Tenoxicam 20mg or 40mg after thoracotomy: a prospective, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Anaesth Intensive Care 2002; 30: 160-66.
19. Merry AF, Webster CS, Weller J, Henderson S, Robinson B. Evaluation in an anaesthetic simulator of a prototype of a new injectable drug administration system designed to reduce error. Anaesthesia 2002; 57: 256-263.
20. Webster CS, Merry AF, Holland R, van Cotthem I. An audit of 1000 cases of central venous catheter insertion at Green Lane Hospital. Anaesth Intensive Care 2003; 31: 80-6.
21. Webster CS, Merry AF, Gander PH, Mann NK. A prospective randomised clinical evaluation of a new safety-orientated injectable drug administration system in comparison with conventional methods. Anaesthesia 2004; 59: 80-87.
22. Merry, AF, Raudkivi, PJ, Middleton, N, McDougall, J; Nand, P, Mills, BP, Webber, BJ, Frampton, CM, White, HD. Bivalirudin versus heparin and protamine in off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2004, 77: 925-31.
23. Jensen LS, Merry AF, Webster CS, Weller J, Larsson L. Evidence-based strategies for preventing drug administration error during anaesthesia. Special Article. Anaesthesia 2004, 59: 493-504
24. Merry AF, Webster CS, Holland RL, Middleton NG, Schug S, James M, McGrath KA. Clinical tolerability of perioperative tenoxicam in 1001 patients - a prospective, controlled, double-blind, multi-centre study. Pain 2004, 111: 313-322.
25. Legget ME, Peters WS, Milson FP, Clark JS, West TM, French RL, Merry AF. Extra-aortic balloon counterpulsation: an intra- operative feasibility study. Circulation 2005, 112(9 Suppl):I26-31.
26. Ryan AJ, Webster CS, Merry AF, Grieve DJ. A national survey of infection control practice by New Zealand Anaesthetists. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care; 2006: 34 (1): 68-74.
27. Weller J, Merry A, Warman G, Robinson B. Anaesthetists' management of oxygen pipeline failure: room for improvement. Anaesthesia 2007;62(2):122-126.
28. Merry AF, Webster CS, Connel H. A new infusion syringe label system designed to reduce task complexity during drug preparation. Anaesthesia 2007;62: 486-491.
29. Barber PA, Hach S, Tippett LJ, Ross L, Merry AF, Milsom P. Cerebral ischemic lesions on diffusion-weighted imaging are associated with neurocognitive decline following cardiac surgery. Stroke. 2008;39(5):1427-33.
30. Cheeseman JF, Merry AF, Pawley M, de Souza RL, Warman GR. The effect of time of day on the duration of neuromuscular blockade elicited by rocuronium. Anaesthesia 2007; 62 (11): 1114-1120.
31. Daly DJ, Myles PS, Smith JA, Knights JL, Clavisi O,Bain DL, Glew R, Gibbs NM, Merry AF, ANZCA Trials Group. Anticoagulation, bleeding and blood transfusion practices in Australasian cardiac surgical practice. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 2007; 35 (5): 760-768.
32. Weller J, Janssen AL, Merry AF, Robinson B. Interdisciplinary team interactions: a qualitative study of perceptions of team function in simulated anaesthetic crises. Medical Education 2008; 42(4):382-8.
33. Haynes AB, Weiser TG, Berry WB, Lipsitz SR, Breizat AS, Dellinger EP, Herbosa T, Joseph S, Kibatala PL, Lapitan MCM, Merry AF, Moorthy K, Reznick RK, Taylor B, Gawande AA for the Safe Surgery Saves Lives Study Group. A Surgical Safety Checklist to Reduce Morbidity and Mortality in a Global Patient Population. New England Journal of Medicine, 2009; 360: 491-9
34. Weiser TG, Mackary MA, Haynes AB,
Dziekan G, Berry WR, Gawande AA, and the
Surgery Saves Lives Measurement
and Study Groups (latter including Merry AF) Standardised metrics for
global surgical surveillance. The Lancet. 2009; 374: 1113-1117.
35. Hayward, CS, Peters, WS, Merry, AF,
Ruygrok, PN, Jansz, P, O'Driscoll, G, Larbalestier, RI, Smith, JA, Ho, B,
Legget, ME, Milsom, FP. Chronic extra-aortic balloon counterpulsation:
First-in-human pilot study in end-stage heart failure. Journal of Heart and
Lung Transplantation. 2010; 29: 1427-1432.
36. Ehrenfeld, JM, Funk, LM, Van Schalkwyk,
J, Merry, AF, Sandberg, WS, Gawande, A. The incidence of hypoxemia during
surgery: Evidence from two institutions. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia. 2010;
37. Funk, LM, Weiser, TG, Berry, WR, Lipsitz,
SR, Merry, AF, Enright, AC, Wilson, IH, Dziekan, G, Gawande, AA. Global
operating theatre distribution and pulse oximetry supply: An estimation from
reported data. The Lancet. 2010; 376: 1055-1061. (5)
38. Braun, AR, Leslie, K, Merry, AF, Story,
D. What are we telling our patients? A survey of risk disclosure for
anaesthesia in Australia and New Zealand. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care. 2010;
38: 935-938. (4)
39. Webster, CS, Larsson, L, Frampton, CM,
Weller, J, McKenzie, A, Cumin, D, Merry, AF. Clinical assessment of a new
anaesthetic drug administration system: A prospective, controlled, longitudinal
incident monitoring study: ORIGINAL ARTICLE. Anaesthesia. 2010; 65: 490-499.
40. Ong, CKS, Seymour, RA, Lirk, P, Merry,
AF. Combining paracetamol (acetaminophen) with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory
drugs: A qualitative systematic review of analgesic efficacy for acute
postoperative pain. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2010; 110: 1170-1179. (9)
41. Merry, AF, Gibbs, RD, Edwards, J, Ting,
GS, Frampton, C, Davies, E, Anderson, BJ. Combined acetaminophen and ibuprofen
for pain relief after oral surgery in adults: A randomized controlled trial.
British Journal of Anaesthesia. 2010; 104: 80-88. (5)
42. Weiser TG, Haynes AB, Dziekan G, Berry
WR, Lipsitz SR, Gawande AA; Safe Surgery Saves Lives Investigators and Study
Group (incl Merry AF) . Effect of a 19-item surgical safety checklist during
urgent operations in a global patient population . Annals of Surgery. 2010;
43. Cheeseman, JF, Webster, CS, Pawley, MDM,
Francis, MA, Warman, GR, Merry, AF. Use of a new task-relevant test to assess
the effects of shift work and drug labelling formats on anesthesia trainees'
drug recognition and confirmation. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia. 2011; 58:
44. Haynes, AB, Weiser, TG, Berry, WR,
Lipsitz, SR, Breizat, A-HS, Dellinger, EP, Dziekan, G, Herbosa, T, Kibatala,
PL, Lapitan, MCM, Merry, AF, Reznick, RK, Taylor, B, Vats, A, Gawande, AA.
Changes in safety attitude and relationship to decreased postoperative
morbidity and mortality following implementation of a checklist-based surgical
safety intervention. BMJ Quality and Safety. 2011; 20: 102-107.
45. Houliston BR, Parry DT, Merry AF. TADAA:
Towards automated detection of anaesthetic activity. Methods of Infomatic
Medicine. 2011; 50:464-71.
46. Vogts N, Hannam JA, Merry AF, Mitchell
SJ. Compliance and quality in administration of a Surgical Safety Checklist in
a tertiary New Zealand hospital. N Z Med J. 2011;124(1342):48-58.
47. van Schalkwyk JM, Lowes D, Frampton C,
Merry AF. Does manual anaesthetic record capture remove clinically important
data? Br J Anaesth. 2011;107(4):546-52.
48. Merry AF, Webster CS, Hannam J, Mitchell
SJ, Henderson R, Reid P, et al. Multimodal system designed to reduce errors in
recording and administration of drugs in anaesthesia: prospective randomised
clinical evaluation. BMJ. 2011;343:d5543.
RR, Merry AF. The effect of a graphical interpretation of a statistic trend
indicator (Trigg's Tracking Variable) on the detection of simulated changes.
Anaesth Intensive Care. 2011;39(5):881-6.
50. Gargiulo DA,
Sheridan J, Webster CS, Swift S, Torrie J, Weller J, et al. Anaesthetic drug administration as a
potential contributor to healthcare-associated infections: A prospective
simulation-based evaluation of aseptic techniques in the administration of
anaesthetic drugs. BMJ Qual Saf. 2012 Jun 16;Epub ahead of print.
51. Baradi A,
Milsom PF, Merry AF, Ferguson LR. Are two internal thoracic artery grafts as
safe as one? Experience from Green Lane Hospital. N Z Med J. 2012;125(1354):36-41.
52. Kruger C,
Sidebotham D, Brown AJ, Singh H, Merry AF. Timely bolus insulin for glucose
control during cardiopulmonary bypass. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2012;44(1):34-8.
Other manuscripts in peer reviewed medical journals
1. Merry SN, Werry JS, Merry AF, Birchall N. Malignant neuroleptic syndrome in an adolescent. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry 1986; 25: 284-86.
2. Merry AF, Schug SA, Richards EG, Large RG. Opioids in the treatment of chronic pain of non-malignant origin. NZ Med J 1991; 104: 520-1.
3. Schug SA, Merry AF, Acland RH. Treatment principles for the use of opioids in pain of non-malignant origin. Drugs 1991; 42: 228-39.
4. Merry AF, Schug SA, Richards EG, Large RG. Opioids in chronic pain of non-malignant origin: state of the debate in New Zealand. European J Pain 1992; 13: 39-44.
5. Merry AF, Corkill B, Blair R. The Long case: a case for change (viewpoint). NZ Med J 1995; 108: 348.
6. Merry AF, Power I. Perioperative NSAIDs: towards greater safety. Pain Reviews 1995; 2: 268-91.
7. McCall Smith A, Merry A. Medical accountability and the criminal law: New Zealand vs The World. Health Care Analysis 1996; 4(1): 45-54.
8. McCall Smith A, Merry A. Riposte. Medical manslaughter. Health Care Analysis 1996; 4(3): 229-33.
9. Morris D, Merry A, Carew J, Fitzpatrick C, Panting A, Steele G. Visit to Qui Nhon, Vietnam, by New Zealand medical team. NZ Med J 1997; 110: 190-2.
10. Merry AF, McCall Smith AA. “Medical manslaughter” (editorial). Med J Aust 1997; 166(7): 342-3.
11. Neff SP, Merry AF, Anderson B. Airway management in Ludwig’s angina. Anaesth Intensive Care, 1999; 27: 659-61.
12. Merry AF, Davies JM, Maltby JR. Qualitative research in healthcare (editorial). Brit J Anaesth 2000; 84: 552-5.
13. Runciman B, Merry A, McCall Smith A. Improving patients’ safety by gathering information (editorial). BMJ 2001; 323: 298.
14. Merry AF, Smith W, Finucane K, Beca J. And now Auckland (editorial). NZMJ 2002; 115: 89-90.
15. Seddon M, Merry A. How safe are our hospitals? NZ Med J 2002; 115 (1167),1 – 4 (URL:)
16. Runciman WB, Merry AF, Tito F. Error, Blame and the Law In Healthcare—An Antipodean Perspective. Annals of Internal Medicine 2003; 138: 974-9. Reprinted in The ICFM Journal of healthcare and Law 2004;33-44.
17. Runciman WB, Merry A. A tragic death: a time to blame or a time to learn? (editorial). Journal of Quality and Safety in Healthcare 2003; 12: 321-2.
18. Sherwin T, Coster DJ, La Nauze JL, Merry A, Pendergrast D, Armatige WJ. Is directed organ donation misguided. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2004; 32: 5-8. (Invited).
19. Merry AF. Bivalirudin, blood loss and graft patency in coronary artery bypass surgery. Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis 2004; 30: 337-346.
20. Merry AF, Webster CS. Bar codes and the reduction of drug administration error in anesthesia. Seminars in Anesthesia, Critical Care Medicine and Pain 2004; 4: 260-270. (Invited).
21. Runciman WB, Merry AF. Crisis management in clinical medicine. Journal of Quality and Safety in Healthcare 2005;14: 156-163.
22. Horsborough M, Merry AF, Seddon M. Patient safety in an interprofessional learning environment. In “Really good stuff.” Medical Education 2005;39: 512-513.
23. Merry AF, Warman GR. Editorial: Fatigue and the Anaesthetist. Anaesth Intensive Care 2006; 34:577-578.
24. Merry A. Thrombin inhibitors and cardiopulmonary bypass. The Journal of The American Society of Extra-Corporeal Technology. 2006;38: 52-56.
25. Merry A. What blood pressure is appropriate for cardiopulmonary bypass and how to get it. The Journal of The American Society of Extra-Corporeal Technology. 2006;38: 69-71.
26. Merry A. Conducting clinical trials. The Journal of The American Society of Extra-Corporeal Technology. 2006;38: 71-75.
27. Merry AF, Merry D. Ethics in research: bend it like Beauchamp. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2006 Dec; 38(4):312-7.
28. Cumin D, Merry AF. Simulators for use in anaesthesia. Anaesthesia 2007;62(2):151-162.
29. Cherian MN, Merry AF, and Wilson IH. The World Health Organisation and Anaesthesia. Anaesthesia 2007; 62 (Suppl 1) 65-66.
30. Merry A.F. Human Factors and the cardiac surgical team: a role for simulation, J Extra Corpor Technol. 2007 ; 39 (4): 264-66.
31. Stabile M, Webster CS, Merry AF. Medication Administration in Anesthesia. Time for a Paradigm Shift. APSF Newsletter 2007; 22(3) 44-46.
32. Merry AF. Invited commentary. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2007. 84(3). 840
33. Merry AF. Focus on thrombin. Seminars in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2007: 11(4): 256-260.
34. Merry AF. Ethics, industry and outcomes. Seminars in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2008: 12 (1): 7-11.
35. Singh H, Merry AF, Ruygrok P, Ruttley A. Treatment of recurrent chest pain in a heart transplant recipient using spinal cord stimulation. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 2008; 36: 242-244..
36. Merry AF. Safety in anaesthesia: reporting incidents and learning from them (invited editorial). Anaesthesia 2008. 63: 337-339.
37. Merry AF, Webster CS. Medication Errors in New Zealand- time to act (invited editorial). New Zealand Medical Journal 2008; 121 (1272), 6-9. http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/121-1272/3015/
38. Cumin D, Merry AF, Weller JM. Standards for simulation (editorial) Anaesthesia 2008. 63: 1281-1287
39. Merry, AF, Eichhorn, JH, Wilson, IH. Extending the WHO 'Safe Surgery Saves Lives' project through Global Oximetry. Anaesthesia. 2009; 64: 1045-1048. (9)
40. Wheeler, DW, Williams, CE, Merry, AF. Pulling the plug on ad hoc critical incident training. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 2009; 103: 145-147. (2)
41. Baker, PA, Merry, AF. Scout's motto. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care. 2009; 37: 171-174. (2)
42. Merry, AF. Mistakes, misguided moments, and manslaughter. Journal of Extra-Corporeal Technology. 2009; 41: 2-6. (1)
43. Enright, A, Merry, A. The WFSA and patient safety in the perioperative setting. Canadian journal of anaesthesia. 2009; 56: 8-13. (3)
44. Merry, AF, Barraclough, BH. The WHO surgical safety checklist. Medical Journal of Australia. 2010; 192: 631-632. (2)
45. Scott, DA, Merry, AF. Development of an 'equipment to manage a difficult airway during anaesthesia' professional document using a new evidence-based approach. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care. 2010; 38: 11-12. (2)
46. Merry AF, Shipp DH, Lowinger JS. The contribution of labelling to safe medication administration in anaesthetic practice. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2011;25(2):145-59.
47. Merry AF, Anderson BJ. Medication errors—new approaches to prevention. Paediatr Anaesth. 2011;21(7):743-53.
48. Merry AF, Anderson BJ. Medication errors: Time for a national audit? Paediatr Anaesth. 2011;21(11):1169-70
49. Greenland KB, Acott C, Segal R, Goulding G, Riley RH, Merry AF. Emergency surgical airway in life-threatening acute airway emergencies—why are we so reluctant to do it? Anaesth Intensive Care. 2011;39(4):578-84.
50. Merry, A.F., Wheeler, D.W. Safety in medical simulation—overlooked or underappreciated? Can J Anaesth. 2011;58(9):789-95.
51. Baker PA, Weller JM, Greenland KB, Riley RH, Merry AF. Education in airway management. Anaesthesia. 2011;66(Suppl 2):101-11.
52. Baker RA, Merry AF. Cell salvage is beneficial for all cardiac surgical patients: Arguments for and against. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2012;44(1):38-41.
53. Baker RA, Newland RF, Fenton C, McDonald M, Willcox TW, Merry AF. Developing a benchmarking process in perfusion: A report of the perfusion downunder collaboration. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2012;44(1):26-33.
54. Merry, AF. Campaigning for Safety. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2012;44(1):16-9.