MD (Brist.), BSc, MBChB, DipObst, FRANZCOG, FRCOG, DDU, CMFM
Peter Stone is Professor of Maternal Fetal Medicine in the University of Auckland. His postgraduate training was in Britain, gaining an Doctor of Medicine based on Doppler studies in fetal growth restriction from the University of Bristol. After working in Wellington at the University of Otago for 11 years, where he set up the maternal fetal medicine service he moved to Auckland in 1998.
He has been involved in Obstetrics , Maternal and Fetal Medicine and Women’s Health throughout his professional career.
He has been a member of a number of Ministerial advisory groups most recently on the screening advisory groups for HIV and Down Syndrome as well as being a member of the National Screening Advisory Group for the Director General of Health He is part of the ISTAR group which brought Mifepristone into New Zealand.
He is a councillor for the RANZCOG and is currently Chair of the New Zealand Training and Accreditation Committee of RANZCOG.
Research interests include fetal welfare assessment, ultrasound studies of the cervix in pregnancy, and early pregnancy development including implantation and trophoblast deportation. Other research interests include teaching quality improvement.
Currently he is developing an ultrasound teaching programme for the Pacific in association with the RANZCOG and the Pacific Women's Health Research Development unit set up in his Department in Middlemore Hospital.
- Fetal welfare assessment including Doppler ultrasound
- Doppler ultrasound waveform shape analysis
- Fetal lung development in oligohydramnios including animal models and the human fetus
- Perinatal audit and databases
- Fetal abnormalities including diagnosis, treatments and management
- Early pregnancy loss-trophoblast, implantation, antiphospholipids
- Improving pregnancy outcomes in complicated pregnancies in the Maternal Fetal Medicine service including preeclampsia and preterm labour
- Bioeffects of ultrasound
- Postgraduate education in Obstetrics and Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Stone PR, Chan E, Taylor R, McCowan L, Mitchell J. Transabdominal scanning of the cervix at the 20 week morphology scan; comparison with transvaginal cervical measurements in a healthy nulliparous population Manuscript ID ANZJOG-2010-0136 accepted
- Bennet L, Cowie R, Stone P, Barrett R, Naylor A, Blood A, Gunn A. The neural and vascular effects of killed Su-Streptococcus pyogenes (OK-432) in preterm fetal sheep. Am J Physiol accepted 18 May2010 (R-00116-2010R1)
- Kodikara H, Mitchell J, Ekeroma A, Stone P manuscript no.JOGR-2009-0413, Evaluation of Pacific Obstetric & Gynaecological Ultrasound Scanning Capabilities, Personnel, Equipment & Workloads" NZMJ accepted 2010 manuscript NZMJ 09/492
- Chen Q, Stone P. Percutaneous laser photocoagulation of tumor vessels for the treatment of a rapidly growing sacrococcygeal teratoma in an extremely premature fetus" is accepted by The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. DJMF-2009-0372 accepted 2010 Manuscript ID: 468330
- Chen Q1,2,*, Chen LM2, Liu B1, Viall C1, Stone P1, Ching L-M3, Chamley L. 'The role of autocrine TGFß 1 in endothelial cell activation induced by phagocytosis of necrotic trophoblasts: A possible role in the pathogenesis of preeclampsia' Journal of Pathology online 2010
- Chen LM, Liu B, Zhao HB, Stone P, Chen Q, Chamley L. IL-6, TNFa and TGFß Promote Non Apoptotic Trophoblast Deportation And Subsequently Causes Endothelial Cell Activation. Placenta 2010 ;31:75-80.
- Lange I, Stone P, Aftimos S. The Coffin-Lowry Syndrome: A case report and a review of the literature. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2010;32:691-694
- Battin M, Wise M, DeZoete A, Stone P. Infant and perinatal outcomes of triplet pregnancy in Auckland; better than expected? NZMJ 2009;122(1298):p39-47.
- Kho EM, North RA, Chan E, Stone PR, Dekker GA, McCowan LME. Changes in Doppler flow velocity waveforms and fetal size at 20 weeks gestation among cigarette smokers. BJOG 2009;116,1300-1306.
- Chen Q, Viall C; Kang Y, Liu B, Stone P, Chamley L. Antiphospholipid antibodies increase non-apoptotic trophoblast shedding: a contribution to the pathogenesis of preeclampsia in affected women?
Placenta 2009; 30:767-773.
- Orozco LJ, Clarke J, Tristán M, Spies JB, Stone P. Mifepristone for uterine fibroids (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD007687. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007687.
- Groom KM, North RA, Stone PR, Chan EHY, Taylor RS, Dekker GA, McCowan LME. Patterns of Change in Uterine Artery Doppler Studies between 20 and 24 weeks gestation and Pregnancy outcome Obstet Gynecol.2009;113:332-338.
- Chen Q, Jones D, Stone P, Ching L-M, Chamley L. Vitamin C enhances phagocytosis of necrotic trophoblasts by endothelial cells and protects the phagocytosing endothelial cells from activation. Placenta 2009;30:163-168.
- Cowie RV, Stone PR, Naylor AS, Jensen EC, Gunn AJ, Bennet L. Acute behavioral effects of intrapleural OK-432 (Picibanil) administration in preterm fetal sheep 2008 Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy 2009; 25(3):p304-313.
- Chamley LW, Bhalla A, Stone P R, Liddell H S, O'Carroll S, Kearn C, Glass M. Nuclear localisation of the endocannabinoid metabolizing enzyme fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH) in invasive trophoblasts and an association with recurrent miscarriage. Placenta 2008; 29: 970-975 .
- Parry D, Parry E, Dorji P, Stone P. Open Source Software: A Key Component of E-Health in Developing Nations. Int.J.of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics. 2008;3:1-15.
- James JL., Stone PR; Chamley LW. The isolation and characterization of a population of extravillous trophoblast progenitors from first trimester human placenta Human Reproduction 2007; doi: 10.1093/humrep/dem144
- Chen Q, Stone PR, McCowan Chamley L (2007) Activated endothelial cells resist displacement by trophoblast in vitro. Placenta 2007; 28:743-747.
- Chamley LW, van Bergen K, Liddell H, Zanderigo A and Stone P. Increased T cells in the placental bed of women with recurrent miscarriage. J Reprod. Immunol. 2006;71: 159-60.
- Chen Q, Stone P, and Chamley LW. Activated endothelial cells resist invasion by trophoblasts. J Reprod. Immunol. 2006;71: 149.
- Yang CJ, Stone PR, Stewart AW. The epidemiology of recurrent miscarriage: a descriptive study of 1214 prepregnant women with recurrent miscarriage. Austr NZ J Obstet Gynaecol 2006;46:316-322.
- James J, Stone PR, Chamley. (2006) The effects of oxygen concentration and gestational age on extravillous trophoblast outgrowth in a human first trimester villous explant model Human Reprod. (in press)
- Abumaree M, Stone PR, Chamley LW. (2006) An in vitro model of human placental trophoblast deportation/shedding. Mol Human Reprod. (in press)
- Abumaree M, Stone PR, Chamley LW. (2006) Trophoblast deportation and its immunological consequences. J Reprod. Immunol. (in press)
- Buckingham KL, Stone PR, Smoth JF, Chamley LW.(2006) Antiphospholipid antibodies in serum and follicular fluid-is there a correlation with IVF implantation failure? Hum Reprod 21:728-734.
- Bhalla A, Stone PR, Liddell HS, ZanderigoA, Chamley LW.(2006) Comparison of the expression of human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-G and HLA-E in women with normal pregnancy and those with recurrent miscarriage. Reproduction; 131:583-589.
- James J, Stone P, Chamley LW.(2006). The regulation of trophoblast differentiation by oxygen in the first trimester of pregnancy. Human Reprod. Update;12:137-144.
- Qi Chen*; Peter R. Stone; Lesley M.E. McCowan; and Larry W. Chamley. Phagocytosis of Necrotic but Not Apoptotic Trophoblasts Induces Endothelial Cell Activation Hypertension ;2006: 47:116-121
- Stone P R. Prenatal Testing for aneuploidy in New Zealand: time for action. NZ Med J 2005;118:1217 ISSN 1175 8716
- Willcox TW, Stone PR, Milsom FP, Connell H. Cardiopulmonary bypass in pregnancy: possible new role for the intra-aortic balloon pump. JECT Journal of Amnerican Society of extracorporeal technology) 2005;37:189-191.
- Chen Q, Stone PR, McCowan LME, and Chamley LW. Interaction of Jar chorioarcinoma cells with endothelial cell monolayers. Placenta 2005; 26: 617-625.
- Stone P, Grant S, Sadler L, Battin M, Mitchell J. The Use of Ultrasound Measurement of Fetal Lung Length to predict neonatal outcome after prolonged premature rupture of the membranes.. Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy, 2005, 20:152-7
- James J, Stone P and Chamley LW. Cytotrophoblast differentiation in the first trimester of pregnancy: Evidence for separate progenitors of extravillous trophoblasts and syncytiotrophoblast. Reproduction. 130(1):95-103, 2005
- 2010 Stone PR. Termination of Pregnancy In Introduction to Obstetrics and Gynaecology, eds: Farquhar C , Roberts H Chapt 18 3rd edition pp165-168 ISBN: 978-0-473-15852-1
- 2009 Stone, P.R. Gastrointestinal Malformations including Diaphragmatic Hernia. (1996) In: James, D.K., Steer, P.J., Weiner, C.P. & Gonik, B.eds High Risk Pregnancy-Management Options. , London W.B.Saunders. Chapt 19. 4th edition. fully revised in press
- 2009 Stone P R, Chamley LW. Trophoblast biology and early pregnancy In Early Pregnancy Farquharson and Stephenson eds Cambridge University Press, Cambridge in press
- 2008 Stone P. Introduction to Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Women’s Health. (In Parry, D and Parry E.eds Women’s Health Informatics. Hershey P A USA IGI Global Inc 1st edition) pp1-12
- 2005 Stone, P.R. Gastrointestinal Malformations including Diaphragmatic Hernia. (In: James, D.K., Weiner,C.P. & Gonik, B. B.eds High Risk Pregnancy-Management Options.,London W.B.Saunders. 3rd edition.
Refereed Conference Procedings
- 2010 Weiner C, Stone P. Lack of intra amniotic inflammation (iai) during the mid 2nd trimester of women with spontaneous preterm birth (ptb), Tracking ID: 211668 SMFM Chicago 5 Feb.
- 2009 Stone PR, Ding J, Chen Q, Parry E. Laser Treatment of fetal sacrococcygeal teratoma. The Fetus as a Patient, Sydney March.
- 2008 Viall, C.A., Chen, Q., Stone, P., Chamley, LW. 'How do antiphospholipid antibodies contribute to preeclampsia?', International Federation of Placenta Associations Annual Scientific Conference, Seggau Castle, Austria, 10-14th September.
- 2008 Askelund, KJ Stone, P., Chamley, LW. 'Trophoblast shedding and deportation: lack of effect of oxygen', International Federation of Placenta Associations Annual Scientific Conference, Seggau Castle, Austria, 10-14th September.
- 2008 James, JL., Chen, Q., Stone, P., Chamley, LW. 'TGF²;-2 Production by First Trimester Villous Explants is Regulated by Oxygen Concentration in Anchoring Villi in the First Trimester of Human Pregnancy', International Federation of Placenta Associations Annual Scientific Conference, Seggau Castle, Austria, 10-14th September.
- 2008 Chen, Q., Viall, C.A., Stone, P., Chamley, L.W. 'The role of TGF beta and TNF alpha in trophoblast shedding', International Federation of Placenta Associations Annual Scientific Meeting, Seggau Castle, Austria, 10-13th September
- 2005 Abumaree M, Stone PR and Chamley LW. Phagocytosis of trophoblasts increases the expression of the immunosuppressive enzyme indoleamine 2,3 dioxygenase by macrophages. Placenta; 26: A27.
- 2005 Yang C, Stone P. The Epidemiology of Recurrent Miscarriage: Women at high risk of adverse pregnancy outcome. RANZCOG NZASM Nelson October 20-22
- 2005 Mitchell J, Stone P. An audit of detection of Trisomy 21 in a region in NewZealnd. ISUOG ASM Vancouver 26 29 September
- 2005 Stone P, Parry G, Taylor R. What are the complications after second trimester diagnostic amniocentesis. Perinatal Society of Australia and New Zealand ASM.